Which biometrics to choose does not have a unified answer, or do you need to see what you need?
Author: huifan Time: 2019-11-11
Do you often have a question: What are the most appropriate types of biometrics? Which one do I choose? After reading this article, you should also know how to choose the biometric method that suits you.
2019 China Brand Show (Colombia) [November 20-22 ] Booth: B47-48
ADD: centro de exposición Corferias, Cra. 37 #24-67, Bogotá
First, why do you need biometric identification?
In general, there are three ways to authenticate personally:
1) What you have, such as: NFC mobile phones, smart cards;
2) What you know, for example: PIN, password;
3) Finally, you are yourself.
Cards, tokens, PIN verification and other technologies can only guarantee that the contact information is correct, but it is difficult to guarantee that this person is real. Biometrics brings a verification loop between people and behavior. Another benefit is convenience: you don't lose it, forget it or share it with others.
Second, what are the important selection criteria?
We believe that the quality of the end user experience and biometrics are equally important, and there are three factors:
1) Undoubtedly, hardware product quality is a key factor in image input quality. Choosing a reliable hardware product is the basis of biometric identification;
2) Biometric algorithms determine the results of biometric verification, and are also important factors in speed and performance, especially in the era of big data; this is particularly important;
3) Practicality is an influential factor in the selection process that is often underestimated.
Fingerprint recognition: easy to operate, but there is a risk of being copied
As the name suggests, fingerprint recognition is to identify the identity by identifying the fingerprint path, because all the fingers do not have the same texture, so there is basically no probability of misidentification. At present, fingerprint identification is the most widely used method of security authentication. In public places, you can choose fingerprint punching in work or customs clearance.
After the rise of smart hardware, many personal authentication methods, including smartphones, also chose fingerprint recognition.
From a technical point of view, fingerprint recognition is mainly divided into three types: capacitive, optical and ultrasonic.
Among them, the ultrasonic recognition is still immature, and the fingerprint recognition chip mounted on the mobile phone is mostly a capacitive fingerprint sensor. The mode of action is that after the fingerprint is collected through the surface mirror, the collected fingerprint is evaluated for quality, and the sample in the fingerprint library is compared, and the qualified information is finally determined.
Compared to other biometric technologies, fingerprints have their own advantages and disadvantages:
Advantages: 1, the most convenient, no discomfort; 2, fast recognition; 3, people generally do not decorate on the finger, stability and reliability; 4, easy to operate, no training; 5, safe and harmless ; 6, fingerprints are regenerative.
Disadvantages: 1. Touch type has high requirements on the environment, and has requirements for the humidity and cleanliness of the fingers. Fingerprint wear can also cause unrecognizable consequences; 2. Some people may have no fingerprints by birth, or have few fingerprint features and cannot image; 3. The fingerprint traces are easy to retain, there is a possibility of being copied, and the security is lowered.
Third, which identification method to choose?
1. Fingerprint is one of the most widely used and mature technologies and the starting point for biometric applications.
Fingerprint identification is relatively cheap and functional, and it is also a very reliable way to verify. However, if you need more advanced security options, fingerprint + smart card or fingerprint + password is a good choice. The low-level security options are generally applied to mobile phones or tablets, and interact with users through sensors. However, fingerprint recognition still has a large limitation on some difficult fingers (peeling, etc.) and recognition conditions (wet fingers).
2, iris recognition has been hailed as the most accurate and safe way of biometric identification. Therefore, the cost of iris recognition is also relatively high, and requires professional hardware products. However, with the maturity of iris recognition technology, the current iris recognition cost is no longer a "disappointing" state. Tiancheng Shengye and other manufacturers have even developed sophisticated, compact mobile terminal-specific iris modules, which are cost-effective. high.
3, vein identification is followed by a relatively safe and accurate biometric authentication method, providing a high-quality authentication method similar to fingerprint recognition, and can also directly interact with the user.
4, face recognition is non-contact identification, very friendly and convenient, but also a better way to use the camera. It can be used in a wide variety of environments, including construction sites, mobile devices, website logins, and more, without even requiring dedicated hardware support.
5. Speech recognition is also a very convenient way to identify. For mobile devices, this is a quick and easy verification solution. However, the quality control of voice is one of the key factors affecting its identification and development. Its security is also worrying, but it can still be used in call center and customer service.
6, electronic signature, gait recognition (walking contour), ear pattern recognition and other new technologies, is still in a wait-and-see state.
Each technology has its own unique strengths and limitations, as does biometrics. What you need to do is to clearly analyze your goals and the strengths and weaknesses of each biometric technology to choose the biometric method that works best for you. “We have focused on biometrics and data security for 18 years and have always worked with our clients to analyze goals, identify needs, recommend appropriate biometrics, and even require multimodal biometrics in some scenarios. If not considered Application scenarios, only recommend a biometric method, this is an unprofessional, irresponsible attitude." Tiancheng Shengye's technical staff also said.
Fourth, the final conclusion
After reading the above three questions, we may find that there is no uniform answer to choose which biometrics to recognize. It is more important to see what you want to do, but there are general principles:
1, low-cost solutions still tend to fingerprint, sometimes add a smart card or password;
2, mobile solutions usually use face and voice, fingerprints are also very popular, but now iris recognition has gradually become an important means of competition for mobile phone manufacturers.
3. If you want non-contact recognition, you tend to face recognition or iris recognition.
4, secret monitoring also tends to face recognition, speech recognition and gait recognition.
5. Large-scale projects often use fingerprints or irises. For example, Chinese ID cards will be included in fingerprints, while Indian biometrics include iris recognition.
6. Items with higher security levels tend to be iris or finger vein recognition, and often combined with cards or passwords to form multi-factor verification.
7. Iris recognition is preferred if the certification conditions or environment are harsh, because iris recognition is less affected by external factors, such as mine iris solutions.
Youtube: Huifan Technology
Facebook: Huifan Technology